Saturday, March 5, 2016

Fitting It All In

“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” 
Socrates

This quote in on the wall of the gym where the kids and I go each Friday morning for our workout (Not the first quote from my gym I've used here). I began my journey to see the beauty and strength of which my body was/is capable of about a year and a half ago at Rockstar Gym.  Rockstar is now just one part of my fitness routine.

Why do I like Rockstar Gym and why do I take my kids there?  The answers to these go hand in hand. Rockstar focuses on Functional Training . . . "Functional training is a classification of exercise which involves training the body for the activities performed in daily life "(Wikipedia).  So, me, only better.  Each workout, whether group or individual, is like a personal training session.  The trainers are always offering suggestions to modify the exercises to make it simpler or more challenging depending on where you, as an individual, are.  They are there to instruct you on proper form and want to make sure that your form is correct before any increase in weight/difficulty.  Functional training isn't necessarily just about losing weight or bulking up either!  This is the part that I feel is important for me to pass onto my children and that many gyms miss the mark on.  Being healthy and fit isn't about how you look - it's about how you feel and that you are able to be an active participant in life!  

After working out at Rockstar, I decided to ask about classes for my kids.  As a homeschool mom, if I find something I love, I want to share it with my kids and others.  Rockstar was willing to host a homeschool class on Friday mornings!  I love that my 6 year old, 11 year old, 18 year old and I can all go and participate in a workout together - we are not only getting fit together, but are also having fun together! 




Originally, when I started exercising, I wanted to just zone out and get it in (running, walking).  However, due to my personality and the lack of my ability shut down my mind, I need something that engages my mind during the workout.  If my mind is focused on the movements and exercises I have to perform, then I can't think about all the other things going on in my life!  Functional Training at Rockstar means that I don't get bored!  I came away from my first workout mentally and physically energized.  Each workout is different, moving from one exercise to another, changing intensity and focus.  And honestly, that is one thing that makes working out so much easier for me.  

Since we work out at Rockstar only on Friday's, I wanted to add something to the rest of my week. It needed to be mentally and physically challenging to me - see "bored" above.  The choice - Yoga!  Yoga offers me the mental challenge of focusing on breathing, relaxing into each pose and the physical challenge of attempting each different pose.  Enter - Yoga Studio:




There are so many reasons I love this app:


  • I can do yoga in the comfort of my own home! More specifically, in my bedroom, with the door shut, so I am alone. I can even turn on my diffuser or apply a drop of doTERRA Peppermint oil before the workout to enhance focus and breathing
  • I get to choose how much time I want it to take! There are 10, 15, 30, 45 and 60 minute classes. Just pick a class, download it and you are ready to go.
  • I get to choose the difficulty! There are beginner, intermediate and advanced classes.
  • I can schedule them in! There is a calendar feature (that will sync with your phone calendar) to schedule out the day/time/class.
  • I can mix up my yoga classes! As I mentioned before, I get bored easily.  This app allows me to select from over 65 pre-made classes. Or I can put together my own.
  • I can select what I want to focus on!  Strength, flexibility, balance, relaxation or a combo.
  • I can go to the "Pose Library" for a demo of any specific yoga pose!
  • Lastly, it only cost me $3.99!


I started out scheduling a 15 minute, beginner yoga class 4 mornings a week.  I thought, "I can do 15 minutes, right?"  Ok, it was more like "Will my kids be able to leave me alone for 15 consecutive minutes??"  Now I am ready to move to 30 minutes of intermediate.  Wish me luck - the kids are doing great ;)

With these tools, I am learning the beauty and strength my body possesses, I am training my kids to do the same and I am able to engage and function better in every area of my life. I hope this gives you some ideas of how to fit in the "fit" part of your life.






No comments:

Post a Comment